WHAT HAPPENS IN A BEAN DOODLING WORKSHOP?
I believe that drawing is for everyone. You don't have to be the best, just willing to try.
This playful workshop invites participants to draw and sketch in an open and relaxed environment. We begin with a few simple sketching games meant to inspire our imagination. As the session progresses, we generate interesting characters and settings. We then explore how words and pictures can come together to build a basic narrative during the session. Participants will write and draw their own stories inspired by their drawings. The sketches we'll create will culminate in a complete creative experience, which are often surprising and always fun.
TAPPING INTO YOUR ARTISTIC SELF
• Addressing negative beliefs about one's artistic ability
• Accepting that doodling is always available for everyone
ACTIVATING YOUR INNATE BRAIN POWER
• Stimulating free-thinking
• Sparking inspiration
• Fostering creativity
• Reducing stress
• Improving concentration
• Giving and receiving peer encouragement
• Making personal connections
WHAT IS THE TARGET AGE GROUP?
This workshop is best suited to children older than six years old because some reading is required. Parents should stay present to assist anyone child under six. Teens and adults are welcome.
WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE INCLUDED?
- Getting In the Drawing Zone (warming up)
- Shape Play
- Character Design
- Surprise Stories
- Making Books
PREVIOUS DRAWING WORKSHOPS:
• Boston Public Library, Adams Street Branch, Dorchester, MA
• Cambridge Public Library, MA
• Elizabeth Tabor Library, Marion, MA
• Jonathan Bourne Library, MA
• Hanson Public Library, MA
• An Unlikely Story Bookstore and Cafe, Plainville, MA
• The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo, Cambridge, MA
• The Downtown Arts Festival, Gainesville, FL
• Lexplorations Summer Art Programs, Lexington, MA
• The DeCordova Museum and Sculpture Park, Lincoln, MA
RESPSONSES TO WORKSHOPS:
"I think the attendees left feeling really inspired and pumped to keep drawing." Meaghan Schwelm, Librarian, Adams Street Branch of the Boston Public Library.
“Cara was so personable and encouraging with the participants; overall, it was such an engaging and creative crowd-pleasing event.” Dianna McDevitt, Librarian, Hanson Public Library
“Great for all ages. Fun-filled using hands-on demonstrations.” Barbara Berler, Friends of the Jonathan Bourne Public Library
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a workshop at your library or organization.